Saturday, February 15, 2014

Feeling a little accomplished

 I'm feeling rather proud of myself right now. After over a year of silence, I finally submitted a story today. My novella "Aphrodite Dreaming" has taken me a very long time to write (many, many years in fact) but today I got it to the point where I thought, "Yeah, that seems about right." One final edit saw me attaching it to the email and off it went, out of my hands and into the world of cyber-space.

Then, awash in that glow that comes from finalising a creative piece, I line-edited a poem that I wrote 5 weeks ago before asking my beloved for a Lee-edit. As usual there was a LOT of crossing out, reworking and comments, but Lee was 100% right in the changes and I applied them all. And so - ta-da:

I was able to kick over this little goal.

9. Write a poem and submit it.

The poem is called "Last Rights" and talks about the last few hours I spent time-travelling with my mum before she died. My only hope is that it's not too emo-teen angsty.

Which brings me to my final achievement: I worked up a new Submission Tracker for 2014. Believe it or not, the last one I filled in was in 2011. I'm not sure if that's due to sloppy record keeping, a lack of subs (no, I know it's not that) or a different Tracker file lying dormant in an obsolete computer. I'd like to think it's the last one, but sort of feel it might be the first.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Here's to a new year of writing.

No comments: